Fresh Fig Barbecue and Dipping Sauce Recipe





Fresh fig season is nearly here. I may have eaten a fresh fig before, but don't recall, so gave them anther try last season. Turned out I loved the fresh fig--much better than fig newtons. In my fig-fanatic enthusiasm, I got too many figs. I needed to find other uses besides popping them in my mouth, or slicing them in salads.  How about blending those fresh figs into a barbecue and dipping sauce?

Ingredients:

About 12 fresh organic figs
1 to 3 fresh organic chili peppers
1/2 large onion
4 garlic cloves
1/2 inch ginger
oil for sauteing (I used coconut and EVOO)
1 rib celery
2 or 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
3 to 4 Tablespoons fermented black beans (fermented soy beans available at most Asian markets)
1/2 to 1 cup dry red wine like Cabernet
2 to 3 Tablespoons organic balsamic vinegar
spices:
1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon chipolte powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander or ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cumin

Directions:

Saute veggies in about a tablespoon or two of oil until translucent.
Blend veggies with the rest of the ingredients, to desired texture.

USES:
Meat or chicken Marinade
Dipping sauce
BBQ sauce

Comments

Popular Posts